A Letter to the Y8’s – From Mr Tan

Kia ora Year 8 students,

It’s a real shame that I wasn’t able to say goodbye to all of you while you were still here at school. I had been hoping to break the news to you in Week 9 but the nationwide lockdown on 26th March has thrown a spanner in the works!

I will be taking up appointment as an Assistant Principal and Year 7 Dean at Murrays Bay Intermediate on the North Shore from Term 2, and my reason for the move is I would like to work closer to home. I live in Whenuapai in northwest Auckland and the commute to Otahuhu had taken a toll on my wellbeing.

I would like to say how pleased and proud I am, to watch the majority of you develop into fine and responsible young men and women in the time that I have known you. You have consistently demonstrated the OIS values of respect, personal responsibility and passion, and I strongly believe that you will finish this year strongly if you continue to apply yourselves, seize every opportunity to grow (as a learner and as a person) and always strive for excellence.

To the few students who have struggled in managing their behavior, my advice for you is – grow up, be considerate, responsible and respectful, and stop giving your teachers, peers and family grief. Treat others how you want to be treated.

I would also like to take this opportunity to remind you that you are so fortunate to be studying at one of the best schools that I have worked at. And that you are just so blessed to be in the care and instruction of teachers who are committed, caring, supportive, passionate, empathetic, knowledgeable and patient to name but a few.

Stay safe, support your family and look out for one another during the lock-down period.

Here’s wishing you all the very best in whatever you do!

Aroha nui,

Mr. Michael Tan